Instagram released a new feature called broadcast channels this year, and it has just rolled out in the UK.
Broadcast channels launched globally in June but were only made available in the UK on Tuesday.
And while the feature can be very useful for helping creators connect with their followers, the notifications can become somewhat annoying.
Here’s everything you need to know about broadcast channels, and how to turn the notifications off.
What are broadcast channels on Instagram?
Broadcast channels allow creators to send direct messages to their followers.
Followers can read and react to these messages and vote in polls, but they cannot respond. A similar feature exists on WhatsApp and several other social media apps.
Creators can only message followers who have joined their broadcast channel, and can send out notifications asking people to join.
Instagram said in a blog post: “Creators can use broadcast channels as a casual, quick way to keep followers up-to-date. They can use text, photo, video and voice notes to share their latest updates and behind-the-scenes moments and even create polls to crowdsource fan feedback. Only creators can send messages, while followers can react to content and vote in polls.
“In the coming months, Instagram will be adding more features, such as the ability to bring another creator into the channel to discuss upcoming collabs, collect questions for an AMA via question prompts, and more – the possibilities for connecting with fans are endless, and we can’t wait to see how creators begin using their channels.”
How can I turn off broadcast notifications?
If you do not want to be invited to any broadcast channels, you can stop all the notifications by following these steps:
- Tap your profile icon in the bottom right corner of the app.
- Tap the three lines icon in the top right of the screen.
- Select Settings and privacy.
- Tap Notifications.
- Tap Messages and calls.
- Scroll down and select Off under Broadcast channel messages.
To turn broadcast channel notifications off for just a specific account:
- On the account profile page, tap the bell icon at the top of the screen.
- Toggle Broadcast channels off.
If you are already in a broadcast channel and want to turn message notifications for that channel off, follow these steps:
- Go to the broadcast channel that you want to mute.
- In the top right corner, tap the bell icon so that it has a line through it.
- Alternatively, tap the name of the broadcast channel and then tap Mute, and toggle Mute messages on